Over the years, a buzz has gown around contemporary African art. International art galleries and auction houses have ventured into the sales of African art with certain names like Ben Enwonwu, El Anatsui, Yusuf Grillo, Njideka Akunyili headlining the news with their works recording breaking sales. More and more, the interest in African art is growing and so are new names being identified in the space.
What does nudity in art mean? Does it always allude to a sensual motive or do artists intend to convey something more? Through the medium of painting do people view a representation of the naked body as artistic or sexual?
Culture is a string of symbols, narratives, discourses, artifacts and objects that are rather ambitious to totally unravel. African culture is one that is as diverse as the ethnic groups that exist and thrive within it. It is a situation of constantly fluctuating interaction between various narratives and practices, which is why it is interesting and engaging to encounter various aspects of the African culture in different art pieces.
Halloween is an annual holiday celebrated each year on October 31st which originated with the ancient Celtic festival of Samhain, when people would light bonfires and wear costumes to ward off ghosts. Over the years, Halloween has evolved to be something less serious but all the same, has become a big deal for the fun of it.
Looking for something?
- 7 TIPS ON HOW TO COLLECT WORKS BY EMERGING ARTISTS January 10, 2019
- THE ART OF GIVING: GIVE THE GIFT OF ART THIS FESTIVE SEASON! December 3, 2018
- WHY ART EMBRACES NUDITY November 21, 2018
- IN CONVERSATION WITH NWACHUKWU IKE ON ABSTRACT FIGURATIVE PAINTING November 14, 2018
- 5 FACTS ABOUT BEN ENWONWU’S NOTABLE ‘PRINCESS TUTU’ PAINTING November 7, 2018