At the just concluded West African premier art fair on 4th November, ART X Lagos, one of Ben Enwonwu’s most notable works, ‘Princess Tutu’ made an appearance for two days. Also known as “African Mona Lisa”, this was the first time the painting has been seen in Nigeria since the 1970s.
Culture is a string of symbols, narratives, discourses, artifacts and objects that are rather ambitious to totally unravel. African culture is one that is as diverse as the ethnic groups that exist and thrive within it. It is a situation of constantly fluctuating interaction between various narratives and practices, which is why it is interesting and engaging to encounter various aspects of the African culture in different art pieces.
Halloween is an annual holiday celebrated each year on October 31st which originated with the ancient Celtic festival of Samhain, when people would light bonfires and wear costumes to ward off ghosts. Over the years, Halloween has evolved to be something less serious but all the same, has become a big deal for the fun of it.
Artyrama, an online platform recognised widely for procurement of art works from emerging to seasoned reputable artists in the contemporary African art space will have an exhibition at West Africa’s premier international art fair – ART X Lagos.
Looking for something?
- 7 TIPS ON HOW TO COLLECT WORKS BY EMERGING ARTISTS January 10, 2019
- THE ART OF GIVING: GIVE THE GIFT OF ART THIS FESTIVE SEASON! December 3, 2018
- WHY ART EMBRACES NUDITY November 21, 2018
- IN CONVERSATION WITH NWACHUKWU IKE ON ABSTRACT FIGURATIVE PAINTING November 14, 2018
- 5 FACTS ABOUT BEN ENWONWU’S NOTABLE ‘PRINCESS TUTU’ PAINTING November 7, 2018