At the just concluded West African premier art fair on 4th November, ART X Lagos, one of Ben Enwonwu’s most notable works, ‘Princess Tutu’ made an appearance for two days. Also known as “African Mona Lisa”, this was the first time the painting has been seen in Nigeria since the 1970s.
Culture is a string of symbols, narratives, discourses, artifacts and objects that are rather ambitious to totally unravel. African culture is one that is as diverse as the ethnic groups that exist and thrive within it. It is a situation of constantly fluctuating interaction between various narratives and practices, which is why it is interesting and engaging to encounter various aspects of the African culture in different art pieces.
Looking for something?
- 7 TIPS ON HOW TO COLLECT WORKS BY EMERGING ARTISTS January 10, 2019
- THE ART OF GIVING: GIVE THE GIFT OF ART THIS FESTIVE SEASON! December 3, 2018
- WHY ART EMBRACES NUDITY November 21, 2018
- IN CONVERSATION WITH NWACHUKWU IKE ON ABSTRACT FIGURATIVE PAINTING November 14, 2018
- 5 FACTS ABOUT BEN ENWONWU’S NOTABLE ‘PRINCESS TUTU’ PAINTING November 7, 2018